St Mark’s War Dead
DISCOVERING THE WAR DEAD OF ST ANDREW’S & ST MARK’S PARISH, SURBITON: BEHIND THE NAMES.
Hillcroft College, Surbiton KT6 6DF was built in 1877 as a mansion for Wilberforce Bryant, Chairman of Bryant & May, safety match manufacturers. There is a local tradition that there was a tunnel from the mansion to Surbiton Station. Later, Bryant built a theatre lower down on his grounds, and closer to the station, for the benefit of the local community. Known as The Gables, this was in use in 1885. It was established that there was a tunnel between the mansion and The Gables but there was no evidence that this extended as far as Surbiton Station. It is conjectured that this was the basis of the local tradition.
DISCOVERING THE WAR DEAD OF ST ANDREW’S & ST MARK’S PARISH, SURBITON: BEHIND THE NAMES.
The tombstone of Josiah Clues who died in 1842 was found in Memorial Gardens, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 1RP. Through merit alone, he rose from the ranks to be a Lieutenant in the British Army
This is a PowerPoint Notes presentation based on a talk given to the Surbiton & District Historical Society on 7 October 2025.
Alexander Raphael was born in Madras, modern-day Chennai, India, in 1775…